Friday, November 30, 2012

The Bible

I don't remember a time in my life where the bible was not an important book. There was never a time for me where the bible was "new." I've always had one. I've lost many of them. I've borrowed bibles. I've seen bibles in many different languages. I covered one of my bibles in duct tape. Sometimes I only like to carry around a "cool" bible, you know, one with leather and a cool saying on the outside. I've laughed at all the different versions of bibles in christian bookstores. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to your nearest christian bookstore and ask where the bible section is. They'll point you toward the boring bibles and lead you to the bibles with unicorns on them. It's pretty hilarious.
But recently, I examined my heart when it came to the bible. I began to realize that I tend to consult everything but the Bible. I read books about the bible, and like what I read. I listen to sermons about the bible, and like what I hear. But as a disciple of Jesus, is my foundation on the bible, or on what my favorite leader says about the bible? I know, I know. Leaders are great to give us insight we might not normally think about, and God speaks through them in powerful ways. But that doesn't take away the fact that God desires each of us to have an intimate time with Him in His word.
As a disciple-maker, I need to make sure those I am discipling see me read the Word, live by the Word, and teach the Word. I'd like to ask you some questions when it comes to the bible as the authority and guideline in your life:
- Do you feed yourself daily with the Word of God?
- Can you teach the Word of God accurately to those you are leading?
- Do you rely on the Word of God?
I pray that God would create a new hunger in your heart for the Word of God. May it change you.

1 comment:

  1. So true ;-). Digging into His Word is the only way to have a strong foundation. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete